Action Packed

Written by Team USA. Posted in Driver Blogs, Feature, Jake Eidson

Published on November 07, 2013 with No Comments

Littleton, Colo. (November 7, 2013) – I just made it back home after finishing the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone. It was a very action packed weekend and I enjoyed every minute of it!

The race weekend was split up into six groups for qualifying and the first round of heat races. I was selected into Heat 2 along with Peter Dempsey (three-time winner) and (former British FF and Formula Renault BARC champion) Scott Malvern. Since there were so many groups, qualifying was only 10 minutes long. The conditions during qualifying were damp and very foggy. I knew that I had to make the most of the little track time I had. Throughout the session it became a battle between Peter and I for pole position. By the end of qualifying I had achieved pole position over Peter by only four hundredths of a second. On the opening laps for first heat race I got passed by a few cars but managed to work my way to second and settle there to the finish.

After my second-place finish for the Heat race, I would start in third for the Semi Final. Sunday was the only day with dry weather which made for great racing during the Semi Final. The start of the race went well as I had a few great battles with the top three drivers, including Joey Foster (another three-time winner), to take another second-place finish. For the Grand Final I would start the race in third. In the opening laps there was a tight pack of four cars all battling for the lead, but the race was quickly stopped with a red flag. On the restart I was gridded in the fourth position, and once the lights went out I quickly made a pass going into Turn One. Once we exited Turn One another car ahead had some mechanical issues as I made another pass moving into P2. I did my best to try to catch the race leader, Scott Malvern, but at the same time I had to defend the car behind me. After a few laps I made a mistake in Turn One allowing the P3 car to pass. With just a few laps left in the race I did everything I could to reclaim P2 creating an incredible battle for this position. Going down the back straight I saw a gap on the inside and went for it but dropped two wheels which pulled the car off the track. I did my best to try to keep the car straight but couldn’t quite manage it. After spinning, I still managed to keep the car going and regain a few positions I had lost before taking the checkered flag in seventh position.

Overall it was an amazing weekend filled with a lot of action. I want to thank Jeremy Shaw and everyone involved in the Team USA Scholarship for giving me this opportunity of a lifetime! I also want to thank the Cliff Dempsey Racing Team for everything they’ve done for Joey and I both on and off the track!



Share this Article